Don't miss anything
Le Bateau Lavoir
The Bateau Lavoir was a large residence and collective of artists during the Belle Epoque era. Picasso, Juan Gris, Apollinaire, Modigliani, Braque, Max Jacob passed by the place.
In 1904 Pablo Picasso and his friends named it "Laundy-boat" because its wooden structure reminded the boats moored on the banks of the Seine and used as laundries.
Picasso arrived in 1904, at the end of his blue period, to begin his pink period (he lived there until 1909 and would have a workshop until 1912). At that time, the inhabitants were Kees Van Dongen, Juan Gris, Constantin Brancusi, Amedeo Modigliani, Pierre Mac Orlan, Max Jacob.
In 1907, the Picasso painting Les Demoiselles de Avignon was exhibited there for the first time. In 1908 a memorable banquet was held in honor of the customs officer Rousseau. From the First World War, the building was losing animation for the benefit of the Montparnasse district.
Picasso will forever remember the place indicating that at that time and place they were really happy.