Don't miss anything
Vineyard of Montmartre
We are facing the last vineyard in Paris. The existence of the vineyard in Montmartre is attested since 944. In the 12th century, the vineyards were planted by the Ladies of the Abbey of Montmartre founded by Adélaïde de Savoie. Since the 17th century, Montmartre wine is a small wine reserved for local consumption.
Since that time is associated the fact that Parisians come to drink wine to the hill, in taverns and cabarets. With the urbanization, all the vineyards begin to disappear until in 1929 an association called "the friends of Montmartre" saves the land, transform it into municipal and produce the so-called Montmartre vineyard the "Clos Montmartre".
Up to the present time, during the harvest season in October, there is a great popular party to drink wine.
A popular saying of the time mocks its quality, which seems to be exclusively diuretic here: "C'est du vin de Montmartre, qui en boit painte en pisse quarte", "it is wine from Montmartre, which can be drunk in the bathroom".
Rue des Saules, 75018 Paris.
Line 2 Anvers, Line 12 Abbesses. Paris District XVIII.